This recipe contains affiliates. For more information read my disclaimer!
12 Hacks for Making a Cake Mix Taste Homemade
Don’t you just love a good cake or cupcake? Well a slice or two? Great flavor, texture and topped (and filled) with some yummy frosting! Me too but sometimes I don’t have time to do a scratch recipe. This awesome free printable of 12 Hacks for Making a Cake Mix Taste Homemade is just for you. Print it off and put it somewhere handy, ’cause you’re gonna love it!
Baking from Scratch or Mixes?
Do you favor cupcakes over a pan or layer cake? Do you drool over images that come over Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest? Wishing you could be better at it? There are some gorgeous ones out there and I’ve tried a few of them. In my recipe stash and a few favorite cookbooks I have some really good cake recipes however, it’s always handy to have a few cake mixes on the shelf (Duncan Hines please) for an easier route.
Well, it’s time to let those cake mixes shine! Bring those boxes front and center ’cause just a few extra things added to the mixes inside are going to dial your cakes/cupcakes way up!
The flavor, moisture and crumb will be better. They’ll be higher, stronger and delicious. They’ll have depth and taste great days later (if they last that long). I have 12 Hacks for Making a Cake Mix taste homemade! And a FREE printable as a handy resource! I’ll show you what to do! Here’s the tall doughnut cake🙂 and the small doughnut cake (both cake mix hacks)
Here’s 12 Hacks for Making your Cake Mix Better than Homemade:
- Use dairy instead of water (whole milk or buttermilk)
- Add a small package (4 servings) of Instant Pudding. (Chocolate for chocolate cakes and for White cakes there are cheesecake, white chocolate, coconut…..etc)
- Add 1 or 2 more eggs than it calls for
- Instead of oil, use Melted Butter (1-1 ratio)
- Add a 1/4 tsp Salt
- Add 3/4 – 1 Cup of Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt (it gives it a nice tang)
- Add Extra Flour (1/4 – 1/2 Cup)
- Add Extra Sugar (1/2 – 3/4 Cup)
- Add 1/4 Cup of Cocoa (for Chocolate Cake)
- Extra Extracts like Vanilla or Almond, Lemon or Coconut
- Add Mini Chocolate Chips to Chocolate Cake – Fold them in at the end
- Always, always, use Home Made Frosting (it’s so simple to make and will seriously take it over the top!)
This isn’t for everyone (well it could be:)) There are some terrific bakers and culinary experts out there that can bake a cake like no one else. Bloggers who have exceptional ‘made from scratch’ recipes on their sites that taste divine (yes I’ve made some of them) but in the end, unless you let your secret out of the bag, no one will ever know.
They’ll lick their forks and ask for seconds, exclaim how fresh it tastes and how great the flavor is. And you can go to your grave with your little secret. I’m good with it, in fact I’ve embraced it. I have some fun cupcake posts that are just around the corner using these hacks to make a Cake Mix go from ho hum to oh yum! Remember the FREE printable to keep close at hand.
Want to remember this? Post 12 Hacks to Make your Cake Mix Taste Homemade to your favorite Pinterest board!