This post contains affiliate links. Please read my Disclaimer for more information.
Homemade Sweet, Nutty Butter Horns
There’s nothing better than a sweet treat from time to time and this recipe makes fluffy, delicious, nutty, sweet rolls. They’re actually called butter horns, and I can see why. The sweetness really comes from the frosting that is spread thickly on top. I actually make a lot of cinnamon rolls and hadn’t made these before this week. These Homemade Sweet, Nutty Butter Horns are delicious! My sister was asked to teach a class on how to make them and as the list of participants grew and grew, I asked her if she needed help, and she said “Yes”!
Preparation for the day:
I thought I better try making this before going to help so I’ve tried it twice this week. The first time I made only 12 rolls, they were made out of 12 strips, 24 inches long. Boy were they big and fluffy. I misread the instructions (do you ever do that?) Sometimes I get in a hurry and don’t read the instructions all the way through. I have another sister who is a real cook, certified etc, and has also published a cook book years ago. Sometimes when I’ve made her recipes and I’ve called and said “I made your ….. but they didn’t turn out like yours, the first thing she always asks is “Did you follow the recipe?” Baking is a science, I know. It’s sometimes amazing to me that yeast, mixed with a little warm water, honey (or sugar) and add some flour, oil, salt…….can turn out into such amazing rolls and breads and pizza etc. I digress. This recipe makes 24 fluffy rolls, as I made them again today.
Enjoy this recipe and the lovely, soft, fluffy, nutty sweet rolls that you make. Sit down, put your feet up and enjoy!
Fluffy Homemade Butterhorns
1. 1 pkg. dry yeast
2. 1 tsp sugar
3. 1/4 cup warm water
4. 1/2 cup soft butter
5. 3 eggs
6. 1/3 cup sugar
7. 1 tsp salt
8. 1 cup warm milk ( I like to use cream with a little water)
9. 4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour
1/3 cup cream
1/2 tsp clear vanilla
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
Alternative: 1/3 cup Lemon Curd
1. Mix 1-3 in small bowl. Let proof for 5 minutes
2. Beat butter, eggs and sugar in mixer until light and fluffy with wish type attachment
3. Add warm milk, salt and 3 cups of flour. Continue to beat with above attachment until light
4. Change to your dough hook and add another 1 1/2 cups of flour. Beat and add additional flour (if needed) until you have a soft, sticky dough. The dough will barely pull away from the sides of the bowl.
5. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic
6. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and let rise until doubled. About 1 hour
7. Turn dough onto lightly greased surface and lightly roll to 12″ x 24 “
8. Using a pizza cutter or a roll cutter cut into 24 – 1″ strips
9. Roll them up and tuck the tail (end piece) under the roll. Place on parchment lined baking sheet
10. Let rise an additional 40 minutes.
11. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes, they should be lightly browned.
12. If adding lemon curd to some of your rolls, push center down to make a dip as they cool.
Mix together cream, vanilla and powdered sugar. (You may need more or less to get the consistency you desire)
13. Put a tablespoon of Lemon Curd on the top and drizzle with frosting or
14. With a tablespoon, smear a generous spoonful of frosting on top of each roll. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts
Enjoy! Send me a picture to show me your end product
Recipe is based off of this one at athomeinthekitchen.blogspot
Want to remember this? Post Homemade Sweet, Nutty Butter Horns to your favorite Pinterest board!
Latest posts by Homemade by cheryl (see all)
- PRIME DAY DEALS FOR GALS (and guys) THAT COOK AND CRAFT - July 15, 2019
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - July 12, 2019
- 12 Hacks for Making a Cake Mix Taste Homemade - July 10, 2019