How to make barbecue chicken pizza that’s just like California Pizza Kitchen’s.
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about them, read my disclaimer.
The secret is the smoked gouda cheese. There, that’s it. Now you can zip into your kitchen and create a yummy barbecue chicken pizza. Of course there’s a little more to it than that. You have to start with a terrific base, which, ahem, I have. If you haven’t tried it yet what are you waiting for. My best pizza dough ever! There have been a few other pizza posts in my blog lately that have some stellar ingredients. Try them!
Most people, at one time or the other have visited California Pizza Kitchen. It has a pretty stellar menu with some great appetizers, salads, and of course, pizza. We can’t always get there but if you like to experiment, it’s fun to try some of their combo’s at home. Just read through their menu and toss a few things on your dough.
Well, let’s get on with this amazing barbecue chicken pizza. What’s not to love? I think what makes for the best flavor is using a strong barbecue sauce.
- Large knob of the best pizza dough
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce: Use your favorite. Some a thicker and zestier than others and you might even have a homemade one you love. You’ll need about 1/2 cup because you’ll add some to the chicken just as it’s cooked.
- 1/2 cup Smoked Gouda Cheese. You’ll find this in the deli section of your grocery store. I’ve found it in block style as well as slices, but not shredded. Buy the block and shred it. (the leftovers are lovely with sliced apples, pears and a good cracker)
- 1 large chicken breast, sliced thinly and sautéed until almost cooked. It will be more tender this way.
- 1/8 of a Red Onion, sliced very thin
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese. I like to buy it in a block and shred it as it melts nicer. (you’ll notice I used pre-shredded cheese, sorry)
- 1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro.
- Pizza Stone or Pizza Pan
- Parchment paper if using a stone
- Make a batch of the best pizza dough. If you’ve made some and stored it in the fridge, just take a knob off of it, lightly dust with flour and roll it out.
- Preheat oven to 550° if using a stone and 430° if using a pizza pan
- Slice and sauté the chicken until just barely done. Toss a few tablespoons of barbecue sauce on it for flavor (my picture is steamy)
- Roll out pizza dough on a lightly oiled counter top or if using a pizza stone, on parchment paper
- Smear on a good layer of your favorite barbecue sauce over the crust
- Scatter shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce
- Scatter the shredded gouda cheese over the mozzarella.
- Place chicken pieces evenly over the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle on thinly sliced red onion
- Slide onto your pizza stone or slide your pizza pan into the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the pizza stone, checking at 8 minutes, and 15-18 minutes on the pizza pan
- Sprinkle on chopped cilantro
Enjoy! If you loved this post please pin and share. It’s definitely yummy!
Want to remember this? Post How to Make Barbecue Chicken Pizza to your favorite Pinterest board!
Latest posts by Homemade by cheryl (see all)
- 15 Meals to make from Grilled Chicken - July 17, 2019
- PRIME DAY DEALS FOR GALS (and guys) THAT COOK AND CRAFT - July 15, 2019
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - July 12, 2019