This post contains affiliates. For more information, read my Disclosure.
How to Make Perfect Pie Pastry
I’m not kidding. This is the best pie crust recipe and the easiest to use. It turns out perfect every time! So if you want to learn how to make the best pie crust, stick around.
I got the recipe from my sister, which was featured in her cookbook calls Flavors of Home, first published in 1994. She told me she got the recipe when visiting Nova Scotia years ago and bought a recipe book. She tried it and it worked perfectly so has used it ever since. It is easy to double, triple or do whatever multiples you want (and it still turns out perfect)
Perfect Pie Pastry…..
One of my sister’s and I had a conversation years ago. If you could choose one last thing to eat before you die, what would it be. She said the frosting on a Costco Cake, especially one of the big flowers. My choice was pie crust (pie pastry made from this recipe)
My sister has tweaked this recipe over the years (she’s cooked professionally for years) and uses lard and margarine for the best flavor and handling. You might say margarine (yes you can use butter instead, but I promise, it’s not as good!)
- Margarine (butter if you want)
- Cold Water
- Rolling Pin (although I have improvised with other things:))
- Pie Plate ( I know it’s cute….I love pie plates)
- Optional: Egg white for color and course sugar for dusting and miniature cookie cutters ( I have picked mine up over the years and I use them a lot)
- Measure 1 cup of lard and 1/2 cup margarine in a mixing bowl (A mixer works great) Mix until blended
- Add 1 tsp Salt
- Add 1 cup of White flour (I have used whole wheat flour before, but use less) and mix until combined
- Add additional 2 cups of flour and continue to mix
- Add 1/2 cup of COLD water all at once, mixing until all incorporated. It will have the texture of fluffy cookie dough.
- Shape into a nice ball.
- This recipe makes enough for 2 Double Crust Pies. If you are going to decorate your pie edges, it will make enough for 1 double crust and 1 single crust
Using your Pie Pastry:
Now that your pastry is ready it can be used for a variety of things:
- Single Crust Pie (use extra pastry to decorate the edge if you like)
- Double Crust Pie
- Fruit Pies, Cream Pies, Meat Pies, Pot Pies, Pop Tarts, Quiche, Pigs in a blanket, Sundae Toppings, Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Triangles, Empanadas, Hand Pies, Cornish Pasties and Flaky Cinnamon Rolls.
If you check in to my blog on Monday, I’ll have a post for Apple Pie for National Johnny Appleseed Day!
Enjoy, and if you loved this post please pin and share!
Want to remember this? Post How to Make Perfect Pie Pastry to your favorite Pinterest board!
Latest posts by Homemade by cheryl (see all)
- 15 Meals to make from Grilled Chicken - July 17, 2019
- PRIME DAY DEALS FOR GALS (and guys) THAT COOK AND CRAFT - July 15, 2019
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - July 12, 2019