Shrimp Scampi Flatbread?
this post contains affiliate links. To learn more about this, read my Disclaimer.
Yup, it’s a thing and it’s delicious. You’re here so I’m guessing you hopped over to see how to make shrimp scampi flatbread. Am I right? Garlicky…is that a word? and buttery (that’s a word) add some cheese and shrimp and you got it. Of course it all starts with the best pizza dough ever!
I’m working on my Pinterest traffic and one of the assignments is to post 14 days in a row and really “niche” down. So I chose pizza. I love it and I really never get tired of mixing up the flavors. I was cruising through Pinterest (where do you go for inspiration?) and came across a recipe for Shrimp Scampi Pizza.
Shrimp Scampi is a great dish and I never thought of it as a pizza. So I tried it and it was yummy! As we nibbled and tested it out, the consensus was great but my tastebuds said more garlic. The big changer was making it a flatbread.
What is flatbread?
A flatbread is a dough made with flour, salt and water and some recipes contain a little yeast. Similar types could be pita or fry bread here.
How to make a simple flatbread
I used my pizza dough recipe which had been in the fridge since making pizza yesterday. First, I took out a bit of a knob and rolled it on parchment adding a little flour. Recently in a post I mentioned that it gets a bit sticky when stored in the fridge so adding a bit of flour makes it more workable. Then I brushed it with a bit of the garlic butter. It baked for 5 minutes and was ready for toppings. I’m going to tweak my pizza dough recipe and make a true flatbread dough. Stay tuned…….
WAIT…..if you want to make a few flatbreads now, while your oven is hot (and your pizza stone even hotter) do that. You can roll out a larger piece of dough into a large rectangle and cut in pieces, like cutting pizza sticks. Then place them on a large baking sheet and bake them all at the same time. (You might get 4 at one time of a large pan)
After they’re partially cooked, layer them with parchment, wax or plastic wrap and seal them in a zippered plastic bag and pop them in the freezer. Then your
pizza flatbread snack just got wayyyyyy faster! Just take a few out and within minutes, yes I said minutes, you have a hot bubbly flatbread pizza. Seriously! And guess what? (this is where you say what) Have a fun flatbread night where you make a few different kinds. Each gets a variety of slices (or you can have whole one to yourself, just because).
Back to Shrimp Scampi Flatbread…..
Okay, let’s get back to the recipe. Ahem:)
- A knob of the best pizza dough
- 14 or so large raw shrimp (the ones that are about 3.5 ” with tail on) I bought a bag of frozen ones but many grocery stores have them fresh at the seafood counter.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 Cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Shaved or Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice and a few sliced wedges
- Pizza Stone, Pizza Pan or Rectangular Baking Sheet
- Heat oven to 550° if using a pizza stone or 430 if using pans
- If using frozen shrimp thaw in water and peel, then rinse
- Mince garlic and start sautéing it over med heat in small frypan
- Roll out a knob of the pizza dough in a rectangular shape. (If using a stone, roll on parchment paper, otherwise on a lightly oiled counter, transferring it to a pan) Brush it lightly with some garlic butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes on a stone or 8-10 minutes on a pan
- While the flatbread is cooking, sauté the shrimp in the garlic and butter. They will start to turn pink, flip them over but don’t cook all the way. They will finish cooking in the oven and will be nice and tender. They will be rubbery if cooked too long
- Take the flatbread out and brush liberally with the garlic and butter. Squirt some lemon juice on top.
- Spread with the shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place shrimp over cheese layer
- Top with Parmesan cheese and another squeeze of lemon
- Bake for another 5 minutes (stone) or 8 minutes on a pan
- Serve with a lemon wedge and enjoy. SERIOUSLY good.
Send me a picture of what your shrimp scampi flatbread or pizza turned out like. If you like this post, please pin and share:)