This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about this, read my disclaimer!
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
Who doesn’t love the chewy, gooey taste of our favorite, Rice Krispie treats? I know I still can’t get enough of the old standby that brings such memories to my mind each time I bite into one. This is a fun twist to add white chocolate, some string licorice and blue sprinkles to make Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats! This is a perfect treat that your kids or grandkids can help make!
I didn’t know this but Rice Krispie treats turn 80 this year! Wow that is really staying power! Happy Birthday you sweet treat!
What’s nice about this treat to bring to potlucks or picnics is that it satisfies even the smallest of people and the pickiest as well. They’ll be the first plate eaten with everyone looking for more.
It’s such a fun treat to add different toppings to or just bring them plain. They’re one that’s been shaped (ever watch one of the cake competition shows on the food network?) rolled, dipped, stacked and stuck with a stick! The old versatile Rice Krispie treat! Keep scrolling and follow the directions to make these Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats!
Basic Treat Ingredients:
- 6 Cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 1 10 oz Package of Mini Marshmallows
Over medium heat, melt the butter and mix in the mini marshmallows. Stir over low heat until they’re melted. Remove from heat and stir in cereal and stir until all coated. On a 12 x 9 baking sheet (or a 9 x 13 pan) that you’ve sprayed with cooking spray (or rubbed with butter) press the coated cereal into the pan until firm. You may want to coat your fingers (hand) with butter so they don’t stick. Place in the fridge to set.
Patriotic Add Ons:
- 1 cup White Chocolate chips (I got at Walmart)
- 2 ropes of Pull and Peel Twizzlers (Walmart)
- 1 Small package of Blue Sprinkles (Michaels)
- Frosting Spatula
- Heat Proof Bowl
- I pan of Rice Krispie Treats
- Cut the two licorice ropes into 2.5″ pieces and 1.5″ pieces. Pull apart and put into piles
- Cut a small rectangle out of a piece of cardstock or paper. This will be your stencil for your sprinkles
- Cut Rice Krispy treats into equal rectangles about 3 x 2″. You should end up with about 15.
- Put 1/2 of the white chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and if needed, microwave for another 15 to 30 seconds. Stir. You’ll want to melt the rest about 1/2 way through.
- Put 1 tsp of melted chocolate on a rice krispy treat. With a frosting spatula (or knife) spread evenly over treat
- Put two pieces of 2.5″ red licorice on the bottom and two 1.5″ pieces on the side. Press slightly into the chocolate
- Cut a small hole in the sprinkle package. With your little rectangular template, shake a few sprinkles onto the chocolate.
- Place on a larger baking sheet that will fit into your fridge.
- When you’re finished, place in your fridge to cool and set.
Enjoy! Hey, what do you have up your sleeve for your holiday celebration? Send me a comment and a picture if you have it! If you want to make more fun patriotic crafts try my No Sew Patriotic T-Shirts and Patriotic Wind Sock Craft!
Want to remember this? Post Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats to your favorite Pinterest board!