This post contains affiliates. To learn more, read my disclaimer.
Yummy Strawberry Blueberry Spinach Salad
I was searching for a fun summer salad the other day for a “ladies” lunch retreat I was attending. Something summery with seasonal fruit that was light and satisfying. Wow. Loved it and could hardly wait to have it again…..so here it is! Yummy Strawberry Blueberry Spinach Salad. Light and delicious with a tangy balsamic dressing.
When you’re eating with your family, sometimes the salads we stick with are Caesar, Broccoli, Mixed Lettuce and Pasta Salads. I’m sure my boys as teenagers turned up their noses at most salads, except the ones above (let’s even take pasta salad out of the list) Ya, I know I should have done a better job at pushing the greens although they did eat some salads (but would pick out the red onion, tomatoes and any other thing that didn’t appeal to their tastes)
The last few years, I have fallen in love with using different cheeses, nuts and dressing I’ve formulated at home (I’ve seen gallons of Ranch Dressing used with youth from anything from dipping their pizza to smothering anything resembling a salad) It has it’s place, no doubt but there is a whole other salad dressing world out there.
Yummy Strawberry Blueberry Spinach Salad…
When searching Pinterest (yup I do) for inspiration for the salad, I stumbled upon Donna’s recipe at The Slow Roasted Italian. I used this recipe for my inspiration but changed up the dressing a bit. I have to say, adding the candied pecans put this recipe over the top….or was it the blue cheese crumbles…..or the avocado? See, it’s the kind of salad you just want more of. Add some grilled chicken or steak to it and you’ve got a complete meal. Nom, nom.
Tips for Making the Salad
- You can candy the almonds ahead of time…..be aware, as they cool they disappear bit by bit from the counter, so you may want to make a little more. Keep an eye on them as you cook them, it seems one minute they’re browning and the next minute they’re burning.
- If making ahead of time and assembling later, chop ingredients and keep separate in containers or zip loc bags. Cut the avocado last minute (unless you can chop and add lime or lemon juice so it doesn’t brown)
- Mix the dressing in a mason jar or small plastic container. Give a shake before using to mix everything up again
- Blue cheese crumbles are awesome on this but don’t be afraid to try feta or goat cheese as well. They are both strong tastes but delicious, especially with the balsamic dressing!
- Adding Grilled Chicken or Steak to this salad will make it meal! Slice it thinly and then chop in smaller pieces so they are closer to bite size
- Make lots……you’ll want more and more of it……you can add the avocado and cheese last, after it’s tossed with dressing. If you want to make a larger salad, leave out the cheese, avocado and dressing and store it in the fridge for 24 hours. After that it starts to get wilted and soggy.
- NOTE: Did you happen to read the recipe and then look at the pictures? Or read how to slice the avocado above….and then notice there is no avocado in the salad? Gosh all friday…….I can’t believe I forgot it….or can I?
Want to remember this? Post Yummy Strawberry Blueberry Spinach Salad to your favorite Pinterest Board!